From 2011 to 2013, I was a very active member of Nintendojo, one of the longest running Nintendo fansites on the web. I wrote a huge variety of articles for them over the years, ranging from in-depth editorials to reviews, previews and special week-long features. Some of them have already been republished here on Critical Windfish, but here’s a complete list of all the articles I’ve written for them.
1. The Hidden Mythology of Ōkami: Part I
A look at the Japanese myths that help make up Ōkami‘s grand narrative. This first part looks at the tales of Amaterasu, Susano, Orochi, Issun and Kaguya.
2. The Hidden Mythology of Ōkami: Part II
Continuing the tour through Japan’s ancient legends, this instalment looks at the stories behind Dark Lord Ninetails, Otohime and the Water Dragon, and Urashima.
3. The Hidden Mythology of Ōkami: Part III
This concluding episode looks at the Ainu lore surrounding the northern village of Kamui, Oki, the Poncle and the twin owl demons, Lechku and Nechku.
4. Captain Corelli’s Puzzle RPG
Books I’d like to see making the jump to Video Game Land.
5. Mario in Wonderland
“I’m late! I’m late for a very important date – because my princess is in another castle!”
6. Doctor Lautrec and the Dubious Breach of Copyright
Let’s solve mysteries via the touch screen in a way that completely avoids lawsuits!
7. GameCube’s Crystal Cable Ball
Can GameCube’s little purple cable predict the future success of Wii U?
8. Cause and Epic Effect
Does Epic Mickey‘s auto-save feature signal the future of in-game decision-making?
9. The Laws of Video Game Land
Phoenix Wright takes up the gabble to pronounce judgment on the legal systems of other video games.
10. 3DS Phone Home
Forget PlayStation Vita – what Nintendo really needs to worry about is whether Sony buys Ericsson.
11. The Back-Tracking Metroidvania Paradox
One gamer’s love-hate relationship with Metroid and its backtracking backbone.
12. In Defence of The Crystal Bearers
Am I the only one who quite liked this game?
13. The Lost Zelda Villains
We all know our moblins from our octoroks, but do you know your dairas from your doomraddles?
14. Log 10.023.7: The Hunter
Metroid games aren’t known for its complex villains, but Metroid Prime offered a glimpse into the motivation and culture of the Space Pirates through their logbooks.
15. Power to the Princess
Why cartoon Zelda is the best and most capable princess of them all.
16. Up on Cloud 9
How cloud gaming could be the biggest threat to Nintendo securing that crucial third-party support for Wii U.
17. A Hero Takes Flight
Three-way versus article discussing the environments of Link’s latest adventures. What did water and land (and twilight) offer to the world of Hyrule, and how will air compare?
18. Wii at Five: Xenoblade Chronicles – The Elusive Triumph
Concluding feature in a week-long retrospective of Wii’s finest titles.
19. Golden Silence or Silver Speech?
I ask whether silent protagonists are still relevant in today’s push for realism.
20. Playing the Waiting Game
If you think waiting eight months for Xenoblade Chronicles is a long time, think again.
21. Developer Profile: Monolith Soft
We take a closer look at the team behind Xenoblade Chronicles.
22. The Star Fox Derby
Three-way versus article discussing who would win in a fight between the Arwing, Landmaster and Blue Marine.
23. A Parent’s Survival Guide to Video Game Land
Step 1: Don’t give birth to a hero of destiny.
24. Returning to Animal Crossing
I revisit my Animal Crossing: Wild World town after three years of neglect, and it’s not a pretty sight.
25. Haven’t We Caught ‘Em All Yet?
A two-way versus article about why my stopping at Pokémon Platinum was (supposedly) a bad idea.
26. My Life as a Little King’s Story
Little King’s Story may have won more fans than Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, but I’m not one of them.
27. Revisiting Xenoblade Chronicles
Does Xenoblade still live up to its charm eight months later?
28. The World Ends With Wii U
How The World Ends With You could predict the flaws and merits of Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U console.
29. In Defence of Sonic Adventure
It wasn’t that bad and you know it!
30. See You on Wii U: Star Fox
HD barrel rolls? Check. Epic space battles? Double-check. Prince Tricky? Not so much.
31. The Zombi Game You Never Knew Existed
We’re pretty excited about ZombiU, but did you know Ubisoft made another Zombi game in 1986?
32. See Me in 3D: The Legend of Zelda
I imagine the next Zelda on 3DS.
33. Letters from Lazulis: The Last Story Revisited
I don my mercenary gear again to see how The Last Story holds up six months down the line ahead of its US release.
34. Strategize This: A Beginner’s Guide to Strategy Games
Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics are all household names for hardened strategy fans, but how do they fare in the hands of a strategy newbie?
35. Square Roots: Killer Instinct
Rare’s killer fighting game goes under the retroscope.
36. Wii U 101: Everything You Need To Know About… Rayman
Part of an ongoing series looking back on unfamiliar franchises that are (relatively) new to Nintendo and Wii U.
6. Wii’s Forgotten Gems:
1. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
3. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
4. Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
5. The Last Story (Wii)
6. Pandora’s Tower (Wii)
7. Heroes of Ruin (3DS)
8. Toki Tori (GBC)
1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
2. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
3. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
4. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
5. Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (3DS)
6. Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
7. Nintendo Land (Wii U)
8. New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
9. Rayman Legends (Wii U)
10. ZombiU (Wii U)
11. Trine 2: Director’s Cut (Wii U)
12. The Wonderful 101 (Wii U)
13. Pikmin 3 (Wii U)